January 11, 2017 Meeting Minutes
CRYSTAL TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
January 11, 2017
Crystal Community Center
The meeting was called to order by Supervisor Johnston at 7:00 p.m. and followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Members Present: Chris Johnston, Ted Padgett, Curt McCracken, George Bahm and Patty Baker-Marek.
Public Comment: Public was allowed time to make comments.
-no movement on Blight Ordinances
-questions about new building/wedding chapel
Approval of Agenda and Consent Agenda: Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by Bahm to approve the agenda and consent agenda which included the following items:
- a. December 14, 2016 Regular Meeting Minutes
- b. December 21, 2016 Special Meeting Minutes
- c. Township Bills
- d. Treasurer’s Report
- e. Crystal/Duck Lake Sanitary Sewer Bills
Motion carried- all ayes.
Reports: Reports were presented.
Fire-Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by Bahm to approve the expenditure of $4,500 to purchase 8 used pressure tanks and a fill station, this will come out of the Fire Equipment Fund. Motion carried- all ayes.
DPW-concerned regarding private snow plows leaving snow piles blocking the sidewalks. Boiler has a steam leak waiting on parts for repair. Also Boiler needs chemical added will be taken care of once leak is repaired.
DDA-Winterfest February 11. Received a donation of $10,000 for playground equipment
Library Relocation Committee-Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by Padgett to add Gail Byers to this committee. Motion carried-all ayes.
Correspondence: Monthly correspondence was presented.
a. DPW Replacement-Baker-Marek presented hiring a full time DPW position in lieu of the Part-time, tabled until next meeting.
b. Community Center-Baker-Marek presented a Draft Rental Agreement and list of current CC usage. Tabled until next meeting to look at a standardized agreement for all organizations.
Sanchin Systems- Motion by Bahm, seconded by Baker-Marek to reduce rental obligation to $50 for this current session 1/12 – 3/9. Motion carried-all ayes.
c. Motion by Bahm, seconded by McCracken to sign the Revised Library Contract. Motion carried 4/1 (Padgett opposed).
- a. Motion by Johnston, seconded by McCracken to appoint Board of Review members, William Powell, John Ryan and Richard Walthorn. Motion carried-all ayes.
- b. Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by Padgett to purchase Electric Entry Keypad for office door in amount of $144.99. Motion carried-all ayes.
- c. Office Hour Change: Clerk hours: Tuesday 8-12, Treasurer hours: Wednesday 10-3, Supervisor available by phone.
- d. Motion by Johnston, seconded by Padgett to purchase 4 books from MTA that will be passed down when term ends. Authorities and Responsibilities of Michigan Township Officials, in the amount of $45. Motion carried-all ayes.
Public Comment: The public was allowed time for comment.
-concern of adding chemicals to boiler if there is a leak
-suggestion to check with the local realtors regarding average rental rates per square foot.
-inquiry if the current budget has allocated funds to relocation of the library.
-conversations regarding the importance of keeping the Community Center
-concerns regarding funding for the repairs necessary on the building. Suggestions of a building committee or public forum to move forward on improvements.
-Fire department involved with a program to install Smoke Detectors-3 per household.
Adjournment: Motion by McCracken, seconded by Padgett to adjourn the meeting at 8:21 p.m. Motion carried- all ayes.
Patty Baker-Marek, Clerk