CRYSTAL TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
April 12, 2017
Crystal Community Center
The meeting was called to order by Supervisor, Chris Johnston at 7:00 p.m. and followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Members Present: Ted Padgett, Curt McCracken, George Bahm and Patty Baker-Marek, Chris Johnston
Public Comment: Public was allowed time to make comments.
-Lyons Club would like to donate supplies and labor to replace the boards on the benches in the park and to build a stairway on the seawall by the beach.
-Previously the board voted to tear down the hockey rink, why is it still there?
-Request to have the flower pots placed on the 4 corners-they will maintain and water.
-Lake Association would like to replace the dock.
-Establish a committee to pursue the Recycling/trash/blight ordinance.
-Request to close street by the library June 26 for a children’s event.
-Reestablish the Zoning Board and Ordinance Officer.
-Request by Chamber of Commerce to have the Farmers Market again this year. Board agreed
Approval of Agenda and Accept the Consent Agenda: Motion by McCracken, seconded by Padgett to approve the agenda and accept the consent agenda.
Motion carried- all ayes.
Approval of the Consent Agenda: Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by McCracken to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried-all ayes.
Reports: Reports were presented.
Montcalm County: Ron Braman-Lots of new building permits which leads to lots of variance requests.
Fire: Scott Brundage
DPW: Roger Gooding-Winter clean-up: Spencer Cemetery done, Burke almost done and Crystal Park to be done by tomorrow-weather permitting. Waiting on estimate of boiler system evaluation.
Sewer District Report: Scott Brundage-Deeds for all 13 properties have been completed from the County-now we own them. Purchases Pittney Boes Stamp machine, available for the Township to use for tax bill mailings will just need to pay the postage. The pond are full, contact with DEQ to start irrigation early.
Duck Lake Improvement: David Wight-Approved plans for 2017, treatment notice will be going out to residence.
DDA:David Wight-April meeting cancelled. Next meeting May 5 at 7:15.
Montcalm Police Report: Officer Syrjala. Reviewed the monthly police report, slow month. Officer Syrjala is leaving will be replaced by Officer Snyder.
Library Relocation Committee: G Bahm, No proposal yet, still working on spec’s.
Correspondence: Monthly correspondence was presented.
- a. Michigan Township Participating Plan-Member Representative.
- b. Montcalm Chaper of MTA meeting April 18th
- c. CSZ Services
- a. DPW Replacement- Motion by Baker-Marek seconded by McCracken to hire Dennis Walker seasonal starting April 17 at $9.00. Motion carried-all ayes.
Activity Report- Motion by McCracken seconded by Bahm to have DPW employees complete daily activity report. Motion carried-all ayes.
- b. Community Center- a. Cassandra Gloden-Motion by Bahm seconded by Baker-Marek to extend eviction to June 1 after the next board meeting to allow time to check with attorney regarding “verbal agreement”. Motion carried. Ayes Bahm, Baker-Marek, Padgett, Johnston Nay: McCracken.
- b. Herbal Vibrations, Tonya McCarty-please reconsider eviction they are a service to the community.
- c. Security System Estimate: contact all bids for clarification regarding computer needs.
- c. Road Commission Contracts- Motion by McCracken, seconded by Baker-Marek approve contracts in amount of $109,175 as follows contingent upon outcome of joint with Evergreen:
-Spray Brush Along Local Roadsides to be determined $2,000.
-Grave resurface Blackmer Road from Condensary Road to Muskrate Road (1. Mile) $14,269.
-Provide private contractor, fifty hours of ditching along local road to be determined. $5,000.
-Gravel resurface Blackmer Rd from Holland Lake Rd to Sidney Rd (1.5 mile) $21.404.
-Gravel resurface Duckland Rd from Mt Hope Rd to East County Line Rd (1.0 mile) $14,269.
-Gravel resurface Colby Rd from Mt Hope to East County Line Road (1.0 mile) $14,269.
-Place a 165# asphalt overlay on Lake Street/Pine Street from Lincoln Street to Smith Street $13,286.
-Gravel resurface Senator Rd from Sidney Rd to Colby Rd (.75 mile) split cost with Evergreen Township $11,152 Crystal share $5,576.
-Gravel resurface Senator Rd from Colby Rd to Loon Lake Curve (.65 mile) split cost with Evergreen Township $9,665 Crystal share $4,833.
-Gravel resurface Blackmer Rd from Muskrat Rd to Holland Lake Rd (1.0 mile) $14,269.
Motion carried, ayes all.
- d. Light Pole Reimbursement-Chris is getting Police Report will send letter.
1. New Police Millage. Motion by McCracken, seconded by Bahm to pursue stand alone police millage for August Election estimate approximately $9,000. Motion carried-ayes all
2. Porta John Bids: Motion by McCracken, seconded by Baker-Marek to accept bid from Jason Septic in amount of $2560. Motion carried, ayes all
3. Lawn Mower bid: Motion by Padgett, seconded by Baker-Marek to approve quote from Bush Hardware for 60” Toro Zero turn Mower for $2800 trading in current mower. Motion carried-ayes all.
4. Cemetery Well: agreed for Baker-Marek to contact Crystal Clear to get water going for Crystal Cemetery and Noll Park.
5. Budget Line Item Adjustment: Presented current budget and General Ledger activity report for all line items currently negative. No action until next meeting to allow the board time to review.
6. Historical Society: Motion by McCracken, seconded by Baker-Marek to allow the Historical Society to move into the “Library Room” temporarily, rental amount to be established. They area Non Profit 501C organization. Motion carried-all ayes.
7. Fun & Fitness Proposal: tabled until next month
Public Comment: The public was allowed time for comment.
-Questions regarding Non Profit, would like to review the rental policy in relation to Non Profit.
-How realistic is the library relocation with the necessary repairs needed on the building. What is the time frame.
-Requesting an analysis of Library usage and Crime Analysis from the Police Department. -----Signs coming into town are not legible
-DDA and Chamber of Commerce should be working together to aid new businesses.
Adjournment: Motion by Baker-Marek, seconded by McCracken to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m. Motion carried- all ayes.
Patty Baker-Marek, Clerk